Clear back last June, yes, a year ago, Sequoia auditioned for a competitive dance team called the Boogie Babies. I didn't feel great about the idea of her competing at such a young age but all her little dance friends were auditioning and her favorite dance teacher was going to be coaching it, so I figured 'what the heck.'
After she made the team I went to a parents meeting at her studio to learn exactly what was in store for us for the next year. I could have died. I was required to sign a year contract, June to June, which I would be fined for terminating early. Sequoia was required to take two, one hour classes per week for the entire 12 months. Not to mention team warm ups, costumes, hair, and makeup. We're talking they sent me with a list of specific brand and color of lip stick and mascara and step by step instructions on styling her hair! I still remember calling Dillon as I was leaving, scared to tell him what I had just enrolled our four-year-old in. BUT- classes started, it wasn't nearly as intense as it had seemed, and Sequoia loved dancing with her friends each week.
Dillon and I were still nervous how competitions would go, as Sequoia's track record for performing has been less than stellar. The team did a Christmas performance just for parents in December and Sequoia totally folded. Like Dillon had to pick her up off the stage and carry her out to the parking lot bawling.
The first competition was at Thanksgiving Point and Sequoia absolutely ROCKED IT!!! Dillon and I were so proud. We were literally holding our breath as she walked out on stage and looked terrified. She looked into the audience, closed her eyes, and took a deep breath. Dillon and I looked at each other like, oh crap! Then the music started and it was the cutest thing ever! Sequoia was one of the best ones on the stage and her team took first that day! Sequoia was so proud of herself and her confidence has never been the same since! From then on several of our weekends consisted of driving all over Utah and Salt Lake counties to different comps. Sequoia never once cried, or said she was scared. She LOVED going and her team placed every single time. We enjoyed cheering her on as a family and watching her grow each time. I don't think we'll do it this next year, it was pretty demanding and Sequoia has expressed an interest to try new things, but we definitely don't regret it!
Above: These three girls have been dancing together since they were 2! Its been fun to watch them learn and grow up together.
Below: Sequoia was thrilled to wear makeup each time. She would still my phone and take a million selfies- haha
And Ms. Cassie! We love you! Thanks for making our Boogie Baby experience a good one!











No comments:
Post a Comment