.

.

6.01.2012

The Dance Recital



Sequoia's first dance recital was held on May 12, 2012.  I had been so excited about it, she has been taking dance at Center Stage for about six months and has loved it!  Seriously she talked about it constantly and practiced anytime music would come on. I would die every week when I would take her over the darling little girls in their leotards.  Sequoia would do so well every time and I was usually surprised just how well she she followed her teacher, Ms. Cassie. I couldn't wait for our parents to see what a great little dancer Sequoia was.  The day of the recital a dress rehearsal and pictures were scheduled for 8 AM.  Sequoia and I don't do mornings very well so I purposely put her down extra early the night before and tried to walk her through what was going to happen in the morning and get her excited about.  She seemed thrilled with the idea.  I woke her up extra early so we would have plenty of time and she wouldn't feel rushed (girl HATES to be hurried in the morning-- who doesn't I guess).  We got the the place the recital was held and Sequoia met up with all of her little friends.  She was a little hesitant when she walked onto the stage but still seemed okay (I was really surprised because she loves being and usually is the center of attention).  As soon as the music started she began bawling and pretty much cried through the entire thing.  After I got her down I asked her why she was crying and she told me she didn't want to do her dance.  Slightly annoyed I told her it was fine but she would have to do it later that day and we were going to get pictures right then (come on kid, we paid good money for these classes and this ridiculous costume).  She quickly shut off the water works and again seemed fine.  Her class all got together for a group picture which resulted in this:
Could not get her to smile for the life of me.  Seriously she looks like she is being tortured in some circus act or something.  I was getting more agitated by the second but figured she would do better in the individual pictures when less people were watching.  We waited our turn and again she seemed to be back to her normal, happy self until it was her turn in front of the camera.  She literally sat on the floor and gave sad faces and would just shake her head when me or the camera man would try to get her to smile (totally not Sequoia).  That poor camera man was so patient with us for over 45 minutes before I just gave up, tore up my check and carried a screaming child to the car.  Yes, I was that mom.  I was so bugged at first, mainly because Sequoia is almost always such a happy, easy going kid I couldn't understand why today she was such the opposite but then I felt so bad.  I asked her if she didn't like dance and didn't want to do the recital, I felt horrible that maybe all this time I had been misreading her.  By this time she was totally calmed down and responded, "I love dance and Ms. Cassie, mom!"  "I'm going to dance on the stage for grandma and grandpa."  WTH???  I figured we had a couple of hours before the actual recital maybe she would start acting like herself and it was just the early morning to blame.  She took a good nap, ate a good lunch and we did some shopping.  All the while she excitedly talked about the recital that was happening later that day.  Finally we loaded up and headed back to the recital.  The minute we got there I was totally overwhelmed.  I felt like I was living in the show "dance moms".  I took Sequoia back stage and left her with her teacher and found a seat.  She seemed totally fine and had no problem with me leaving.  I called Dillon and told him the place was a madhouse (think TONS of people, makeup, hairspray, leotards, parents saying Disney scouts were there, etc.) and I didn't know if I could handle another recital... Sequoia's class was second and I had high hopes when she marched right out to her dot on the stage.  
       As soon as the music started it was like clock work, Sequoia gave the biggest frown you've ever seen, let out a little cry, and then stared at the little girl next to her like a deer in headlights for the duration of the performance.  When all the girls marched back off stage she just started crying and everyone laughed until her teacher helped her off the stage.   
 I, again, felt like the WORST mother and quickly rushed backstage to grab Sequoia and get the heck outta there.  I had made up my mind we were done with dance!  By the time I got backstage Sequoia was all smiles and so proud of herself.  Again, WTH???  
    
We stayed for a couple of numbers after hers and then went outside and took some pictures.  Sequoia told me later told me she didn't like the big stage and wanted to dance in the little room with the mirrors (the studio).  I had recorded the performance for Dillon and within hours Sequoia had found it on my phone.  Since then she will turn it on and dance to the music every chance she gets, on demand, for anyone and everyone.  She had dance class at the studio a few days later and was back to her ballerina self and the teacher was as baffled as I was.  I signed her up for summer dance and tumbling so I guess we'll see.  After her preschool graduation practice went almost exactly the same way less than a week later (the only two tantrums we've had in months) I'm thinking this kid has a serious case of stage fright or something.  That's okay baby girl, you're as cute as ever and I think I was turning into too much of a dance mom anyway, thanks for keeping me in check kid.

2 comments:

Tyler and Staci said...

Oh I love it Kim. Sequoia is so cute...she can totally get away it. Haha. Good luck!

The Hull Family said...

I LOVE this post Kim!!! Thanks for being so real. Trust me....you aren't the only mom who has felt like this. Sometimes I think my children are out to get me and that they purposely try and make me look like a sucker!!
Sequoia looks adorable despite the frowny face. Good luck with summer dance...can't wait to read about it!