.

.

1.23.2016

St. George Marathon

We literally drove to Las Vegas, dropped off our kids, back up to Lake Powell and from Lake Powell to St. George.  Packing my things for the marathon 10 days before was a little stressful.  I kept worrying I was forgetting something important, like my running shoes, but I seemed to get everything! 

Em and Nate were so sweet to bring us our kids to St. George and then stay to cheer me on.  They really are the best!  Friday night when we arrived we didn't do much. Just got settled and into bed early.  

Lindsey and I were up EARLY.  We were on one of the first buses to the top!  We waited by the fire and tried to relax, but the anticipation was killing me!

The race itself was pretty great.  I really wanted to beat my time from the year before, and of course I wanted to stay with Lindsey for as long as I could.  But, at about the half way point I started having thoughts like, "hey, you just got back from Lake Powell, running a HALF marathon is respectable, just call it a day."  I kind of laugh now at how serious I thought about that after how hard I had worked for the marathon, but running that many miles will cause you to think somewhat irrationally.  

Lindsey and I stayed together for about the first 17 miles I believe.  And we had stayed faster than our goal pace for most of that.  Once we split up I slowed way down.  
I am really terrible at pacing myself.  I go hard while I feel good and then die off.  Not smart!  But at about mile 20 I saw a girl who works out at the same gym as me.  This sounds so mean but I was so determined to beat her!  I picked it up and smoked the next three miles!  I didn't stop or slow down once, not even at the aid stations!  At mile 23 I was really starting to die.  Emily had said she would try to find me to finish with me and when I saw her waiting there I really think I maybe cried a little.  She was so sweet and so motivating.  Those last 2 or 3 miles are an absolute blur.  I remember the girl from the gym passing me, in what felt like slow motion, during the last mile.  But I literally had nothing left to try to stay with her.  Putting one foot in front of the other was all I had at that point.  I was still running so I was okay with it.  

I came across the finish line at exactly 4:00.  I felt pretty good about that.  It was more than 15 minutes faster than I had done it the year before and I knew I had given it my all.  
Seeing these three was the best thing, ever.  They were so proud of me and I loved that they were there!

Definitely wouldn't have finished as strong without her!

I was very lucky to have so many cheerleaders both there and at home.  Lindsey was just a few minutes ahead of me and had a lot of support there herself.  I'm sad we didn't get a picture together.  I love her and love that we have been running together forever!

After the race I wasn't feeling up to doing much.  We mostly lounged at my grandma and grandpa's and visited and relaxed!  They are the best hosts!




One thing I always feel up to is Em's and my favorite tradition!

I miss her so much!

It was a great weekend and a great race with the people I love most!  I'm still torn on whether I ever want to do it again though! HA!


No comments: