About a month ago my cute neighbor, Amy, told me someone had dropped out of her Ragnar team at the last minute and they were looking for a replacement. I was beyond thrilled that she thought of me. She told me not to worry that I didn't know anyone because the group was great and she couldn't have been more right! And as luck would have it I actually ended up knowing almost my whole van in some way or another anyway. Small world!
Above: Right before we set off for Vegas on Thursday night.
Below: Friday morning at our first exchange.
We were 'Van 2' and we actually didn't have much contact or connection with 'Van 1.' They were mostly couples so we just did our own girls thing and it ended up working out rather well.
So meet Van 2 of Team Untouchable:
Marie:
our gazelle/fastest runner::mother of 3::was my high school x-country coach::makes the most dreamy homemade bread known to man
Katie:
runner 2::mother of 3::super cute & super funny::apparently the best wife that ever lived
Amy:
the best neighbor you could ask for:: mother of 4 dang cute kids::sandwich maker extraordinaire::PTA president::stake relief society president::a true grown up
Me:
the new girl::mom to Sequoia Pauleen::just your average parole officer::runs races/works out in an attempt to balance her carb/sugar intake
Karli:
our van driver/team mom::ran 3 Ragnar's this year::preschool teacher of the year::has 5 children who call her mom
Rachel:
fellow OHS '03 graduate::registered nurse::mama to 3::best sportsmanship on the team
So needless to say these were some amazing girls with lots of talent.
You would think that Vegas in early November would yield ideal running temperatures but that was just not the case this weekend. It was SO COLD!!! We waited quite awhile at our first major exchange and literally bundled, cuddled and guzzled hot chocolate.
I grabbed this blanket at the last minute on my way out the door. Arguably the best decision I've ever made. When I wasn't running I was snuggled in it the whole time.
My first leg was supposed to be 3.5 miles but at the exchange they informed us that they tacked on an extra .5 mile to it. I didn't mind. The first 2 to 2.5 miles was straight up hill (if you think Vegas is flat you are mistaken) but the end, and what they added was all downhill and it was lovely. I felt great but unfortunately I didn't start my GPS before I started and have no idea how I did time wise. It was interesting running through the city and dealing with stoplights but fun nonetheless and I think I did pretty good. I had 13 'kills' and didn't get passed at all.
::waiting at an exchange::
We had a little bit of time before our second leg and were able to rest for a bit (no one slept we were silly, giggly, gabby girls).
We were so worried about how cold it would get for the all night legs we all bundled up really good. As it turns out I think it was warmer than it was during my first leg and I again felt great. This time I ran 3.5 miles and I did about a 7:30 pace. My leg was actually on Las Vegas Boulevard just no where near the strip. Poor Rachel was the last in our van to go and had the longest leg. We all fell asleep, she had no support/water and she had to pound on the van window after she passed off the bracelet to get us to unlock it to get in... we're the worst teammates ever!
After our second legs were were able to get another little rest before our third and final legs. These legs were all non support and followed a running/biking trail near the shore of Lake Mead. I could feel my body losing energy and was a little concerned that my final leg was 7.5 miles of rolling hills. But the sun came out and it warmed up tiny bit. This photo was taken while I was waiting for my final exchange. The scenery on this leg was pretty cool but as you can see we totally got photo bombed here by another team.
This was by far my most challenging leg. I was tired and the terrain was rough. The wind picked up towards the end too. There was a team that seemed to be right with us at all the exchanges and we found them slightly annoying. As I was waiting for Amy to come in to start my leg I saw a member of this team take off and I mentioned she would be one of my 'kills' or passes. Amy took a little longer than we anticipated and that girl got further ahead. About the last mile, I could see her and I knew I had to pass her. I passed her in the last .5 mile and she was my 18th and final kill that leg. I ran about a 8.30 pace and was so proud I passed that girl and sooo happy to be done!
::passing the bracelet to Karli for the last time, I was so exhausted!::
And finally, the finish!!! 200 miles down! Our team was about 114 out of over 600 teams. I seriously can't believe how much fun I had doing this. It was the perfect amount of fun and challenge and I can not wait to do the next one! So. Cal 2013!!!
PS: A big thank you to our wonderful husbands who managed 19 children for three days :)















1 comment:
KIM!!! Reading this makes me so excited for So Cal. Hopefully it's as much fun as Vegas was for you! You are so awesome, I can't get over how FAST you are!!
Post a Comment