.

.

11.04.2012

After 25 Years

After 25+ years of being a police officer, my dad retired from the Highway Patrol on October 11, 2012.  I still can't believe it but he is on to bigger and better things and had an awesome career.  In 25 years he worked in the jail, undercover for the State Bureau of Investigations, was Governor Mike Leavitt's personal bodyguard, worked on the road and promoted to Sergeant.  I'm so proud of him!

The Highway Patrol did a little retirement party for him and I think Dillon and I were both totally thrown off guard when they asked us to say a few words.  When I had found out my dad made the decision to retire I had purchased a knife he had been wanting.  When I graduated from the police academy he gave me a similar knife and told me a story about how most people in society are sheep.  There is also a small percentage of society who are evil and act as wolves towards the innocent sheep.  The story continued that a select group of people are sheepdogs and are responsible for protecting the sheep from the wolves.  These people are military and law enforcement.  It was a beautiful story and something I think about often in my career.  Anyway, so on this knife for my dad I had "Always a Sheepdog, Forever my Dad" engraved on it.  When they asked me to speak you'd think that I could have just told the story, presented the knife and moved on but as soon as I stood up I became a blubbery, sobbing mess!  Even Dillon was like, "I was surprised how emotional you got!"  I'm just so proud of my dad and appreciate the example he's left for me.
 Above:  Some of the 'big wigs' at Highway presenting his plaque and retirement badge.

Below:  This was at my academy graduation.  My dad has always believed in and motivated me in my career and I hope in 15 years I retire just like him!
        
Funny Side Note:  Two weeks after retiring my dad was traveling and got pulled over for the first time in a LONG time!  

No comments: