.

.

6.06.2009

What Could Be The Best Day of My Life

This whole experience has been so amazing I want to document it as much as I can. Here's the Story...

My sweet husband knew me better than I knew myself and decided to come home on Tuesday, the day before my due date. I thought it was a little silly for him to take time off work before I had her, but once he got home I realized I never would've made it without him! When the baby didn't come for several more days we were able to spend some priceless time just the two of us, with nowhere to be, it was so nice! He spoiled me rotten and helped take my mind off my huge belly and uncomfortableness. He is so sweet he told me several times a day how beautiful I was and how happy he was to be there with me, even though I know how hard it was for him not to be working.

After going to the doctor Friday she agreed if I hadn't delivered by Monday she would induce me. I felt like I had been pregnant forever! Dillon and I spent those last days going for long walks and eating spicy foods but nothing seemed to work. Finally, Sunday evening I started having contractions. I waited several hours and finally told Dillon I felt like they were strong enough to go to the hospital. We went in and they checked me and I was at a 4, and having contractions every 3 1/2 minutes. But, after about an hour I hadn't progressed any and they sent me home and told me just to come back in the morning as scheduled unless my water broke. I was devastated! We went home and got some rest and returned to the hospital at about 7am.

This is me right before they got me all hooked up. My last pregnant belly picture!

They started me on Patocin at about 8am. I was still at a 4. At 10am the nurse asked if I wanted to get the epidural. I wasn't in a whole lot of pain at that point but the anesthesiologist was going into surgery and they didn't know when he would be done. Terrified I would miss my opportunity, I went ahead and got it. It wasn't as bad as I was expecting, but way scary! I was looking at Dillon while they did it and saw his eyes get HUGE! I told him to look at me and not the needle, cause he was not helping. I'm glad I never had to see it, and I was totally comfortable after that. Around 11 the doctor came and broke my water and I was still at a 4. At about 1:30PM the nurse checked me and I was still at a 4. At this point the doctor and myself realized this might mean I would need a c-section, and they told me it was going to be awhile, so Dillon figured it was safe to run across the street and grab some lunch. At 2pm a new nurse came on shift and said she wanted to check me as part of the shift change even though I had been checked not that long ago. I was at a 10! I couldn't even believe it! She asked where my husband was and told me to call him cause it was time to start pushing! I called Dillon, who about died and he literally came running.

The doctor got there and I started pushing at about 2:30. Honestly, it was so easy! I think I had prepared myself for the worst but it really wasn't bad. It was just Dillon, the doctor, a nurse, and myself in the room. Both mine and Dillon's moms had been with me pretty much up to that point but I wanted it to just be us when she was born. I'm so glad I made that decision because it was such an amazing, and a spiritual experience to have as a couple. I was so proud of Dillon. After the epidural, I was worried how he would react to the actual thing but I watched his face pretty much the whole time and he was just in awe. He kept reassuring me that I was doing great and telling me how proud he was of me.

At 3:10pm Sequoia Pauleen entered the world. I can't put into words how I felt. I had kind of prepared myself for a wierd, cone headed, alien-like baby, but she was SO BEAUTIFUL! When I first looked at her I felt like I had known her for a long time, she looked so familiar. I never knew I could love someone or something so much just instantly.
She weighed 7lbs even and was 19 inches long. And had a ton of hair!



After they got her cleaned off and wrapped up they took her and Dillon to the nursery to have her bath. I obviously wasn't there but both of our families watched and said it was the sweetest thing, watching Dillon interact with her. Right after they bathed her she was screaming and Dillon just put his finger out and she grabbed a hold and stopped crying immediately. Both of our moms cried just telling me about it.
Being the great husband and father he is he got a picture of it for me.

The nurses let him pick out her bow, and he held up several though the window to our families. Apparently he and his two brothers decided on blue, and I'm so glad, I think it fits her perfect.

The proud daddy! He was so amazing through the whole thing. He kept calling me super woman. The first several days I teared up every time he held Sequoia because he is just so good with her and she loves him so much.

I stayed at the hospital until Wednesday morning. All of the nurses and staff were amazing, I had such a great experience! I would spend hours just holding my little girl thinking how blessed I am to have her and wondering how I got so lucky to have such an angel to take care of. I kept thinking I would have to leave her at the hospital, and that she wasn't really mine. I still can't get over how beautiful she is!

6 comments:

Whitney Bennett said...

so amazing!

Heather Heaton said...

I am so glad that you had such a good experience! Motherhood is so amazing I think everyone needs to experience it! your daughter is totally beautiful! i really am so happy for the both of you! congrats again!

Paityn Ann said...

That's so amazing Kim! Seriously made me tear up. You guys are such a cute family. I am so excited to see you and the baby!

Paige and Garret Story said...

im not going to lie i did tear up a little after reading this! so amazing!

The Hull Family said...

Oh Kim!!! I wish I would have read your blog earlier! I've had such a rough weekend with Owen...he's been so naughty and I've been so frustrated. But reading your sweet story reminded me how much of a gift these children are and that they really are sent straight from heaven. Thank you so much for sharing your sweet story!!

I got your text of Sequioa's picture and I LOVED that she already had a bow in her hair...and now reading about how she got that bow was so sweet! She really is the most beautiful baby girl!! I am so happy for you!Congratulations to you and Dillon. You guys are going to be awesome parents!!

Darin and Kali said...

congrats man! you know me and you are getting punished and that's why we have girls! Maybe we are getting blessed with girls cause we know what kind of guys we were so God knows we'll watch out for guys like us. Either way it's awesome being a daddy.