.

.

7.21.2012

A 'Lil Scare

So this post is mostly for my journaling purposes and while I'm so glad today is over I feel like someday I might want to remember it. Sequoia made her first appearance in the emergency room today. I thought I had this weekend all figured out. The plan was for my parents to take Sequoia up camping this morning while I headed off to work. I was going to attend work and a bachelorette party tonight and meet my parents and Miss Q in the morning. My mom got to my house just as Quoia was waking up. I gave her a big hug and kiss and told her to have fun camping and that I would see her in the morning and then I headed off to work. I had been a little upset about the Colorado shooting and all, I cant help but think about what would happen if I were ever in a situation like that, but overall things were going fine until about 3:30. My mom called me and was pretty upset. She said Sequoia hadn't been acting like herself and was running a temperature of 103. Apparently she went down hill pretty quick and became lethargic. My parents had to drive over a mile just to get cell service to call me and find out what I wanted to do. Honesty I didn't know what to do! Quoia has never been sick and had seemed fine just hours earlier. My mom is a nurse so the fact that she was so upset had me worried even more. She felt like we needed to get Sequoia to a hospital or instacare right away. I told my mom to hang tight a couple minutes while I got work under control enough to think straight. Of course I was the officer in charge today meaning every problem that comes through the door was my responsibility. All the agents in my office are assigned a day about once a month and today happened to be my day! And of course it was a Payday Friday so there were very few agents in the office! I panicked for a second but luckily got things squared away and literally ran out the door. I called my mom back and told her to start driving down the mountain and to meet me at the hospital (it was about 30 minutes closer to where they were camping than an instacare). The whole way there I just kept thinking of the worst case scenarios. I had called Dillon right after I talked to my mom and he felt so bad he wasnt here. I think the worst feeling in the world is helplessness and both of us felt completely helpless! I got to the hospital first and started all the paperwork until my baby got there. As soon as they pulled up I grabbed Sequoia and just held her. I knew nothing had really changed but just having her with me made me feel like it was all going to be okay. I called Dillon and told him I had her and I could tell he was also relieved somehow. They took us back and obviously asked a bunch of questions and checked everything out on Quoia. I knew she didn't feel good because she just wanted me to hold her, that never happens but I was happy to do it. Because she didn't have any other real obvious symptoms the doctor suspected a urinary tract infection. We've had a heck of a time potty training and I feel like quoia holds it extra long to avoid the potty/accidents. They told me she'd either have to pee on demand or they'd have to do a catheter. I knew the answer to that right away. The nurses were so good but watching a catheter go into my three year old was pretty brutal. I again felt so helpless. It was over pretty quick and then we had to just wait for the results. Quoia was doing a little better at this point and was spoiled with Popsicles and surprises from the nurses who just loved her. Well long story short (kinda) all the tests came back normal so the doctor said it is probably just a virus and there's pretty much nothing we can do about it. Not sure if that's good or bad news but we're just taking it easy now and keeping Tylenol/Motrin in her to keep the fever down. I'm probably a paranoid first time mom but seeing my baby today was scary. Between that and the shooting It kinda made me realize how lucky we've been and how quickly real emergencies can happen. I'm so grateful Miss Q's okay and we get to snuggle for the rest of the weekend!

2 comments:

The Hull Family said...

Oh Kim that IS scary! I'm so glad that she is okay. Sometimes having a sick kid isn't ALL bad especially if all they want to do is cuddle with you. So glad that nothing was seriously wrong!

Jessie Evans said...

That's awful, there is nothing worse than seeing your kids sick and not being able to do anything. I'm glad it all turned out okay!