.

.

2.26.2012

Sweet Child of Mine

I've been meaning to do this post since December but am just now getting around to it. As of December 1st Sequoia is officially two-and-a-half years old. I can't believe it! Here are some random pictures and facts about this little angel at 2 1/2.
She has been attending preschool three days a week since September and she loves every minute of it! We have been so happy with the school we send her to and I can't believe how much she is learning. I know every parent thinks their kid is so smart but at parent teacher conference all of her teachers said she is excelling in all areas and is such a joy to have in their class. She has core class, music, art, cooking and science and amazes me constantly with her knowledge. She knows all of her shapes, colors and letters and can associate the noise they make or something that starts with that letter for most of them. She can tell you her name is Sequoia Pauleen Story, can almost spell her first name out loud and can count to ten. Occasionally I'll hear her talking to herself and she'll be rattling off the days of the week, months of the year or the Pledge of Allegiance, but none of those are things she'll do constantly or on demand.

Another thing that Dillon and I can never get over is Sequoia's memory. She'll remember people or places from months ago and if we promise her something she will not let us forget. She is really into music lately and in the car when the radio is on she'll ask, "who is this?" Without fail the next time she hears that song she'll tell us who it is. She was with Dillon at the car wash a few weeks ago and asked him if it was Jack Johnson on the overhead speaker, sure enough it was! People always comment on her verbal skills for a two-year-old. When she meets someone she tells them, "I'm Sequoia Pauleen Story, after grandma great (who she's named after). I'm two and will be three in June."


We enrolled our little lady in dance several weeks ago and she is getting better and better each week. Dillon has been taking her (yes, fully goes and sits with the dance moms while I'm at work) and gives me a report each week. I think he wasn't too sure it would be worth the money when I first came up with the idea but watching her he has totally changed his mind! I love how cute she is in her little dance clothes. I pray she has more coordination than I do!


In addition to school, skiing and dance we have been trying to have Sequoia do little chores of her own. I've been surprised how well she's received the idea. She loves to help Dillon or me with whatever we're doing and is pretty good at following instructions or watching us do something then copying it. Her favorite chore is to feed Ripley and she does not take it lightly. She reminds me if we forget and gets upset if I do it without her. It's pretty cute. Sequoia and Ashlyn adore each and Ashlyn lets Sequoia "play" with her for hours. Ripley is a different story. He still has not warmed up to Sequoia so we thought this might help.

Sequoia has always been pretty independent but has gotten even more so as of recently. Everything is "I want to do it myself!!!" I know this is good for both of us but sometimes it makes me want to pull my hair out.

So I work from home about 20 hours a week. I try to do most of my work while Sequoia is sleeping (she typically sleeps from 8pm to 930am and naps from 2pm to 5pm-ish-- yes I know I am lucky, no I never hope to find out how lucky because this is all we've ever know with this kid.) Anyway, there are a few hours during the day that I have to work while she is awake and she does a pretty good job of entertaining herself. She could watch Micky Mouse Playhouse for hours but once we shut that off she does pretty well coloring, doing puzzles, etc herself. One day I turned around from my computer and saw this:

I was dying because it looked just like me, working on the phone and computer! I think I work too much. Sequoia is very tech savvy and can navigate our phones, computers, TV and iPad pretty much all by herself. Here is a picture she took of herself with Dillon's phone:


We don't let her spend a lot of time with TV or gadgets, but she doesn't ever seem to mind. She has an incredible imagination. When she's in her room I can hear her talking to her dolls/stuffed animals and I'm beginning to think she has imaginary friends that she sings and talks to. It's pretty cute. She loves to cook for Dillon and me in her pretend kitchen and still baby's her little lamb she's had by her side since she was born. She calls it "baby" and constantly tells me, "baby needs a bum change." "Baby's ready for a nap." or my personal favorite "I just put her down so be quiet." She also loves to play with toy cars/trucks and build Lego towers.

Anyone who knows Sequoia knows she is slightly OCD and is funny about constantly having her purse, lip gloss, etc with her at all times. I keep hearing this is pretty normal, but I feel like its a little out of control. We can't get out the door or to bed without some of the most random things that she feels are prized possessions. I would say her Hello Kitty lip gloss tops the list right now, but hand sanitizer, what she calls "magic soap" has been right up there. She's also a little bit of a hoarder. I find snacks, sunglasses, pretend food, toys, in the most random places. But if you ask her where something is she knows exactly where she put it.


I would say Sequoia's biggest quark right now is dressing herself/dressing up. She is so funny about what she wears, and again, doing it herself. Above are the only pajamas she has worn for months and below are just a glimpse of some of the outfits she has come up with on her own. I've definitely learned to pick my battles on this one. Don't be surprised if you bump into us at target and my child has a princess dress, rain boots, and a hoodie WITH POCKETS on.

She is OBSESSED with pink right now so everything she wears or buys is usually drenched in it.


I think the picture above does a pretty good job of showing her little spicy attitude she sometimes has. Sequoia is the pure definition of sugar and spice. Most of the time she is so, so sweet but when she's on one you better watch out. She says the funniest things from, "oh, I like you're boots!" to "mom, you're driving me crazy" funny little girl!






I know this was pretty wordy but there's just so much I want to remember about this little toad and it feels like time is flashing before my eyes. Everyday she is doing or saying something new. She definitely keeps us on our toes and I wouldn't have it any other way! Love you sweet baby girl!

1 comment:

The Hull Family said...

That was such a sweet post Kim. I can't believe how grown up Sequoia looks in the first picture and I love how much hair she has!! She is darling.

You are so so SO lucky that she sleeps so much!