.

.

11.02.2011

MAUI

So Dillon was given the opportunity to extend his sells season. I said absolutely not, five months away was long enough... then they offered to let it be in Hawaii... He left the first of September and Sequoia and I were lucky enough to come out half way through and spend the second half with him. We all had such a great time! So this post covers all 15 days so it's lengthy but here goes:
I know I can't complain cause I got to spend half a month in Hawaii, but I really did feel bad for myself about having to endure that long of a flight alone with a two-year-old. She really didn't do too bad, but lets just say when dad picked us up and took us straight to the beach it was just what we needed!
Dillon's apartment was in Kihei, a little less than two miles from this beautiful beach where we spent a lot of time.
Above: trying to learn 'hang loose' but checking something else out
Below: beachy, sandy, love

Eating at a fun restaurant and looking cute, even though this was still when we were trying to get used to the time change. Our kid really is a good sport.

I got there on a Friday evening and that Sunday I ran a half marathon. I really didn't take it too seriously (like I ever do) I really just wanted the experience and for some reason I thought it would be easy since I was at sea level. Wrong! I forgot about the humidity/heat. I honestly have never sweat like that in my life! Can't complain though, it was along the coast the whole way and was absolutely beautiful!
One of the other wives, cute Heidi Balling, ran it too. It was fun to have a buddy at the start and finish but this chick killed it and that's about all I saw of her.
Dillon and Quoia were at the finish to cheer me on. Since we were Lahaina for the race we decided to stay up there and make a day of it. We scrounged our way into one of the hotel pools on the beach and had a ball on the slide and in the pool.


In the afternoon we rented a surfboard and went to the beach. Sequoia loved playing with the Balling kids and they were so cute with her.


We spent A LOT of time at different beaches around Maui, and loved every second of it!


One of our favorite beaches was Makena Beach. It was a great place to snorkel since we had to go one at a time so one of us could stay with Quoia. We didn't have to go far to see some awesome fish and saw turtles every time we went.


Sunsets were breathtaking every single night.


We took a day and did 'The Road to Hana'. It was a lot of driving but SOOOO worth it! We had a CD guide and made stops all along the way. These next couple pictures were from the first stop. I couldn't get over the views!


Everyone said we would get car sick. I feel I have a really strong stomach so I didn't really believe them. Lets just say by the first stop we were all ready to get out of the car. It got better after that.
The second stop, and probably my favorite, was the national park there. There was so much to see and it was a lot of what I pictured Maui to be like.

This was a blow hole like in the movies. Dillon standing that close scared the crap out of me!

This place was called Black Sand Beach, for obvious reasons. I thought it was so different and cool.
A little nervous to check out the cave...
but so glad we did!
We were really looking forward to getting to the Seven Sacred Pools, but when we got there we were a little disappointed. They were beautiful but something about stagnant water is really gross/scary, so we didn't spend much time there.

The bottom of the pools touch the ocean so it wasn't stagnant. We had been telling Quoia we would let her swim in a pool 'just her size', probably not the safest idea but we let her play right here, with us REALLY close!

One of our other favorite beaches was Black Rock. It had AMAZING snorkeling and cliff jumping. The water was so clear! This was one of the times we went.

When people ask what my favorite part was, I keep finding myself saying the luau. It was so much fun!!!
I was surprised how family friendly it was and how much they had to do for kids, like getting hena tattoos.
Our friends Steve and Natiri were staying in Maui while we were there, so they met up with us for the luau. It was fun to hang with them! Look close behind us you can see the pig they roasted all day. I thought I would be totally grossed out but it smelled so good! All the food was delicious that night.
If you know me you know I have NO rhythm. I really wanted to learn the hula and I can honestly say I gave it an honest effort. If you've seen the video you have witnessed what an epic fail I was! Oh well, it was a good time either way!


Such a good time!!!

We kept hearing how awesome the aquaium was in Maui. We went back and forth whether or not it was worth it, but one of the other little girls in the office was going for her birthday and she invited Sequoia to go with her. We're glad we did, it really did have a lot of cool things!
The birthday girl Kennedy and Sequoia. I couldn't believe how much Sequoia loved it, she just ran through it and was so excited about everything!
This tunnel was pretty cool.

I packed Sequoia more swimsuits than any two-year-old should own. By the second day her little shoulders were just getting more sun than I was comfortable with even after loading on the sunscreen. We found this little number at the local Costco for $6. I think it was the best $6 I've ever spent!
Dillon really wanted Sequoia to be able to swim on her own with her arm floaties. The problem was they were just too big and she couldn't keep her balance. I guess over the time we were there she just became super confident in the water and Dillon didn't give up on her. Here she is swimming on her own for the first time. We were all so proud!

Big waves would come and not even phase her. She LOVED the water and swimming!

Rockin' dad, he was so proud!

We had heard watching the sunrise at the top of the crater was really cool. Problem was 1) We had to get up REALLY early and 2)It was cold! But who knows when we'll get back there so one of the last days we made the trip.
I can honestly say it was worth it. Not only was it beautiful/not something you see everyday, but there was a local up there singing as the sun came up. Very, very cool.

Our last full day there we went to Black Rock. I took off to snorkel and Dillon swam with Quoia. Luck girl, the turtles were so close they were able to swim over to them and one swam right with her for a minute. When I came back I snorkled right by them and Quoia could see a lot of what I was. We love that beach!
Right after swimming with giant sea turtles. Not every two-year-old can say that.

Oh I just love this girl! Vacationing with her is a lot different than the days of just me and Dillon but in the end I'm so glad she was able to enjoy it with us.

For our last dinner in Maui we ate at Longboards. It was probably the best food we had the whole time we were there. Not to mention another gorgeous Maui sunset.

Before catching our flight the last day we grabbed a snow cone...
something we did at least once a day the whole time we were there. I still crave these bad boys!

And took a few pics at the beach by the apartment.
What an amazing opportunity and some great family time after being apart for six months. We all had an absolute blast but it feels good to be home!

1 comment:

The Hull Family said...

Wow Kim!! Such beautiful pictures! Looks like you guys had a blast. Sequoia is one lucky little girl!! And I love her full coverage pink bathing suit!