.

.

10.20.2013

Welcome Winter!

Winter Joyce Story
October 8, 2013
7 lbs. 11 oz.

We just love her!!!

So, here is how it all went down.  I know this is way TMI but I need to document it for my own sake.  Feel free to skip to the pics! 

Two weeks before my due date my doctor informed me I had tested positive for Group B Strep.  She was concerned how fast I had Sequoia and said it was important for the baby to get two doses of penicillin during labor, which you can only get one dose every 4 hours.  Because I was at a 3 already, she suggested I be induced the following week so we could kind of 'control' the situation.  I was all for it!

On October 8th Dillon and I went to the hospital at 6:30 AM.  Sequoia had spent the night at my parents.  It was so nice being able to 'plan' the whole thing and make all the necessary arrangements.  As soon as we got there they got me all hooked up and we got comfortable watching Netflix.  My doctor had told me she was going to postpone breaking my water for a bit because last time she did I dilated quickly, so I figured we would be there all day.  The anesthesiologist came in and asked when I wanted the epidural.  I wasn't in a lot of pain but was having regular contractions even before they gave me pitocian so I figured I'd get it right then.  I was only at a 4 and again got comfortable.  At about 11 AM I felt like I had peed and sure enough my water had broken on its own.  The nurse came in and I was at a 5.  She said the doctor was on her way to check on me.  They were also able to give me the second dose of penicillin at that point so it was perfect timing.  The doctor came about 20 minutes later and I was at an 8.  She said she was going to her office for a minute and the nurse would call when I was at a 10 (her office is next to the hospital.)  I didn't feel great about her leaving since I was progressing so fast, but she's the boss, right?  At that point my mom and Dillon's mom and Dillon were all in the room with me and we were just visiting.  Right after the doctor left I told Dillon to call the nurse because I was feeling the urge to push and figured I was at a 10.  The nurse came in and I was right.  It was go time.  My doctor ran back to the room and my mom and Dillon's mom left.  It was time to push.  It was about noon.  I started to push and things were looking good.  But the time passed and things weren't progressing like I thought they would (I only pushed about 20 minutes with Sequoia.)  The doctor said the baby was turned, shoulder up and I'd have to push harder.  I really had to work this time.  About 45 minutes into it I was spent and frustrated she wasn't budging.  I started screaming with each push and having a lot of anxiety that I wouldn't be able to get her out.  Dillon was so sweet.  He rubbed my head and whispered in my ear that I was doing great and I just needed to keep calm and keep doing my best.  Really, I couldn't have done it without him, even the nurses were like, wow, you're husband is like a professional labor coach, lol.  About five minutes later Winter Joyce Story was out.  She was so beautiful and so perfect!  No one in the room could believe her long hair and Dillon and I couldn't believe how light it was or her blonde eyelashes!


 They set her on my chest and it was an indescribable moment.  I just loved her so much and knew she was the perfect addition to our family. 

I had hemorrhaged slightly when I had Sequoia, so I wasn't surprised when it happened again.  But the more times I glanced at Dillon or the doctor, the more I knew it was different this time, and it wasn't okay.  I started feeling light headed and I remember more nurses rushing in and one of them shooting something in both my thighs.  I was scared.  I knew I couldn't hold Winter any longer and I knew Dillon needed to leave.  I could see on his face watching what was happening was killing him.  I told him to go to the nursery with Winter.  He hesitated, what he describes now as the worst decision to make, but eventually left with the baby.  Things at this point are still fuzzy.  I remember more nurses coming in and my doctor continuing to say "It's not working."  I was losing blood, a lot of it.  Another doctor came in and took one look at me and asked my doctor what he could do. At that point both doctors inserted what they called a 'balloon' in my uterus basically causing it to clot.  They told me they would leave it in for 24 hours and if the blood didn't stop they would have to do surgery.  Eventually everyone left the room but me and my doctor.  I really love my doctor.  She turned to me and said "That was a lot more action than I like to have in a delivery."  I could tell she was still in a little shock and so was I.  I couldn't stop shaking, which is normal for me after an adrenaline dump, but still.  I called Dillon and told him to come back up.  I don't know a lot about medical terms but I know when I got to the hospital that morning my hematocrit level was 33.  After delivery it was 23.  If it had dropped to 22 I would have needed a blood transfusion.  I had a fever after all this and they had ran some tests and wanted to keep me in labor and delivery until the tests came back and they knew I was okay.  I didn't mind.  The labor and delivery rooms are a lot more spacious!

At about 3 PM my brother picked Sequoia up from school and brought her to meet her new sister.  I had been so worried how Sequoia would react to a new baby.  She seemed excited but she has been the center of everyone's universe her whole life.  We told her the baby brought her a present and it seemed to work- she has been the best big sister ever since!

This was such an awesome moment.  I can't even describe it.  Sequoia was so, so sweet and angelic when meeting her sister.  She was as much in love with her as we were.



Meanwhile, Winter had several visitors.  My mom, dad, brother, sister-in-law Kelsey, Dillon's mom, dad, Grandma Story (whom she's named after), all three of Dillon's brother's, my sister-in law Jenna, and my hopefully soon to be sister-in-law Amanda.

SAD I didn't get pictures of everyone!!!

A little after 6 PM they told me it was time to be moved to mother/baby.  The nurse came in and it was just me, her and Dillon.  I tried to move and I just couldn't.  I was too weak.  The epidural had long worn off, it was just straight weakness/exhaustion.  I looked down at the drains and IV's coming out of me and I just started to cry- not normal for me.  I hated the feeling of being so helpless.  Ugh!  Luckily, again, I had Dillon there.  The nurse stepped out and Dillon just held me and told me he loved me and that everything was going to be okay.  I really couldn't have asked for a better partner for this whole having babies experience ;)  We still had several family members waiting to meet Winter and knowing they were there made me feel better also.  We are very lucky to have so much love and support all around us. 
At about 8 PM everyone had gone and Dillon took Sequoia home to get ready for bed.  It was just me and Winter and I just held her in awe.  I was so grateful for an amazing doctor, modern medicine, great family, my wonderful husband and little girl, and the healthy baby in my arms.  I felt incredibly blessed.  
  
It really was a fantastic day.
More on Winter's first two weeks coming soon.

  

3 comments:

Rachel Murray said...

Congrats Kim! She is beautiful!!

Nichole Brown said...

What a beautiful baby girl! Congratulations to you and your family

Leah Stenson said...

Congratulations Kim! I'm glad everything turned out good. I don't think you'll remember me but you came to my reception with Dillon's mom a few years back. I served in the MTC with Dillon and have always looked up to him. I've been wanting to say this for awhile but kept putting it off for some lame reason. It said a lot about you that you came to my reception when you didn't know me or my husband. It meant a lot to me. I've admired you since then. I occasionally check out your blog to see how your sweet little family is doing. You are a good writer and absolutely beautiful! (hope I'm not creeping you out with all the compliments). Anyways, you and Dillon have a cute little family. I'm glad Winter is doing good and I hope your getting some decent sleep. :)